The entries have been flooding in all week for our second Worcestershire CCC ‘Ultimate Quiz’ and the winner was selected today by Daryl Mitchell
A constant stream of members and supporters have participated in the quiz for which the prize was a £25 voucher to spend in Worcestershire CCC’s new online Club Shop.
The opening two questions – where did Worcestershire CCC play most home first class matches after Blackfinch New Road and who was Basil D’Oliveira’s runner during the 1976 Benson And Hedges Cup final – proved to be the most challenging.
Many entrants selected Kidderminster for Question One when the answer was Dudley with 88 games, while it was Glenn Turner who acted as runner for D’Oliveira in the Lord’s final against Kent.
Again, about a third of those who took part came up with a full house of correct answers.
The winner picked out by Daryl was David Richardson and he can use his £25 retail voucher to choose from a wide range of official club merchandise including Worcestershire CCC and Rapids branded clothing plus accessories for adults and juniors.
Already there are more than 70 different items in stock – including the option to pre-order the new playing shirts – and many more products will become available to purchase during the forthcoming weeks.
The third Worcestershire CCC ‘Ultimate Quiz’ will be posted tomorrow (Monday, May 25 2020) with another £25 voucher to spend in the new online Club Shop up for grabs.
The answers to the second Worcestershire CCC ‘Ultimate Quiz’ were:
- Outside of Blackfinch New Road, which ground has staged most home Worcestershire CCC first class matches? Dudley
- When Basil D’Oliveira scored a brave half century, effectively standing on one leg because of injury in the 1976 Benson and Hedges Cup final against Kent, who acted as his runner? Glenn Turner
- Which rock star played a memorable free gig at The Crown at Martley after losing a wager with the then Worcestershire CCC player Ian Botham? Eric Clapton
- Which title was won by Worcestershire CCC in 1982? The Second Eleven Championship
- ‘Tip’ Foster scored his maiden first class century against Hampshire in 1899. But which other Foster brother also scored his maiden first class hundred in the same game? WL Foster
- Name the two club sides Ben Twohig played for in Australia this winter? Southern Districts and Unley CC
- Which Worcestershire CCC player became New Zealand Director of Cricket for 17 years after helping the County to win the 1964 and 1965 County Championship titles? Martin Horton
- When Worcestershire won the 1987 Sunday League title, who scored 578 runs in 11 innings as an opener and took 19 wickets? Ian Botham
- Who won the Walter Lawrence Trophy for hitting the fastest century of the 2009 domestic season? Vikram Solanki
- Who is the current President of Worcestershire County Cricket Club? Cecil Duckworth